The Diploma in Baking Arts & Science, an adult vocational education program, is a modular based program that progressively builds on knowledge and skills. For this program, there are 19 modules; 16 WSQ baking modules and 3 non-WSQ baking modules which have been developed to cover the broad spectrum of the baking industry in Singapore.
The combination of 19 modules encompasses all general aspects of baking namely, bread making, cakes, pastry, flour confectionery, desserts, sugar craft, baking science and bakery management. Designed to be process focused, the syllabus covers the use of ingredients, ingredient technology, processing methods and parameters with the objective of equipping leaners with the knowledge and skills to produce consistent quality bakery, pastry and confectionery items.
Each module is a combination of theory with hands on application of the process and procedures. This enables the learners to understand the aspects of cause and effects from the selection of ingredients, process procedures, baking and finishing as appropriate so that they acquire the knowledge of the essential elements of baking.
Finally, learners will be expected to sit for an assessment at the end of the WSQ modules. It is a competency based assessment which requires students to demonstrate their understanding of the concepts of the modules. Project assessment is the other form of assessment in some modules.
- Monday to Friday:
9.00 am to 5.30 pm (8 hours per session)
- Duration: 6 months
- 2 Intakes per year – January & July
- Tuesday & Thursday evenings:
6.30 pm to 10.30 pm (4 hours per session)
- Saturday: 9.00 am to 5.30 pm (8 hours per session)
- Duration: 12 months
- Minimum age entry requirement is 18 years, Guardian signature required.
- Minimum pass in GCE “O” Level in English and Mathematics or its equivalent.
- Intermediate level of English and Numeracy skills equivalent to Singapore Employability Skills System Level 5 desirable.
- Applicants who do not meet the requirement can be considered through undertaking a short Literacy & Numeracy test to gain entry.
- Training Quality and Outcome Measurement Survey (TRAQOM) by SkillsFuture Singapore.
- The Quality Survey will be conducted after the course end date through emails or mobile phone number.
- All students to provide personal email and mobile phone number for SSG to conduct the surveys.
Assessment consist of a written theory paper of multiple choice or short answer. A pass mark of 70% is required for the written assessment.
Practical performance assessment is competency based, where you are required to demonstrate the skills required for the module. Passing is “C “competent or “NYC” not yet competent.
Local students require an 75% attendance, International a 90% to be eligible to take the assessments.
The Diploma in Baking Arts and Science and Certificates in Applied Baking Technology are designed and developed by CTSBT
The awarding body is CerealTech School of Baking Technology
Work Skills Qualification (WSQ) modules within the Diploma and Certificates are accredited through Skills Future SG and awarded Statement of Attainment (SOA).
All lectures are registered with the Council for Private Education (CPE). Lecturers possess the relevant qualification with a minimum of 5 years’ experience or higher qualifications.